Maja is proud of the 16 coils of brass around her neck that distinguish her as a ‘long neck’ Kayan woman from Burma. But after 20 years of living on display and constantly being photographed in a tourist village in Thailand, she feels the rings becoming more a trap than a source of pride. When a chance meeting with an Australian filmmaker puts a video camera in her hands, she decides to turn the lens around and make a film about what it means to live in a ‘human zoo.’ The process turns her life on its head and inspires the ultimate act of rebellion.
MY LONG NECK
- Directed By: Shalom Almond
- Australia / 53 min
- Screening: Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM
- Plays with Cast in Sand: Najla and Agaila
- Location: Hollywood Theatre
- Sponsored By: Faerie Godmother Family Fund